In January we posted about the new breweries that opened in 2018.
Following our recent Brewery List update, where we added a number of new breweries that opened towards the end of 2018, we have updated our New Breweries in 2018 page.
2018 saw the highest ever number of new craft beer breweries added to The Brewery List.
The total number of new craft breweries that opened in Australia in 2018 was 95.
The “rate of new openings” in 2018 was one new craft beer brewery opening every 4 days. When you exclude the contract brewers, one new physical brewery opened every 6 days.
Of those 95 breweries:
- 33 were in New South Wales
- 19 were in Queensland
- 14 were in South Australia
- 13 were in Victoria
- 11 were in Western Australia
- 2 were in Tasmania
- 2 were in the Northern Territory
- 1 were in the ACT
- 39% are contract, or gypsy brewers
- 37% are small breweries. These are the nano and pub breweries
- 23% are medium size. These are the micro-breweries producing between 50,000 and 300,000 litres per year
- 1% are large breweries. These are the ones that have a regional and national presence.
A full list is on our New Breweries 2018 page.