Last year, 2018, saw the highest ever number of new craft beer breweries added to The Brewery List.
The total number of new craft breweries that opened in Australia in 2018 was 83.
The “rate of new openings” increased last year to one new craft beer brewery opening every 5 days. When you exclude the contract brewers, one new physical brewery opened every 7 days.
Of those 83 breweries:
- 28 were in New South Wales
- 17 were in Queensland
- 12 were in South Australia
- 11 were in Victoria
- 10 were in Western Australia
- 2 were in Tasmania
- 2 were in the Northern Territory
- 1 was in the ACT
- 39% are contract, or gypsy brewers
- 37% are small breweries. These are the nano and pub breweries
- 24% are medium size. These are the micro-breweries producing between 50,000 and 300,000 litres per year
A full list is on our New Breweries 2018 page.